Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kibera Lives, Kenya


Mother and Child, Kibera
Originally uploaded by Ina's Pics
I also visited Kibera, which is the second largest slum in Africa after Soweto in S Africa. I went to see some of the work of the Kibera Community Youth Programme, who won an Award in 2006 for a Solar project. As well as finding a very interesting and committed group of people, I also discovered a vibrant and welcoming community in the slum.

It is hard to imagine that this place had been the scene of much violence in the post election troubles in Kenya at the start of the year.

I did a very fast and furious training session with some of the young volunteers of the Kibera Community Youth Programme, and introduced them to digital cameras and a minidisc. They then went out and spent a few hours documenting some things they saw around Kibera.

You can see their Photostory on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-5ITZydvg

It is a bit rough, and I need to redo, to sort out the photo quality. I will also post their pics on Flickr.

For more information on the Kibera Community Youth Programme visit:
http://www.kcyp.kabissa.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home